...there was light, and it was good. I'm starting this blog to document my forays into the world of loom weaving. I don't know the first thing about weaving, but this will hopefully change with time.
First, a bit about myself:
I'm a graduate student in the biological sciences, plant biology, specifically. I used to be an art student, then I changed my mind. I rigidly resist advice, I like to do things my own way, and because of these 2 traits, I tend to learn by making lots and lots of mistakes. This weaving experiment is probably one of those mistakes.
My hypothesis: I can weave something worth a crap.
I guess the big question I'm asking is whether or not I can find something to do with myself that is satisfying, productive, and is not watching TV.
For some reason, I have become strangely obsessed with textile arts. I used to think it was all crap, but something has happened to me since then. Unfortunately, I don't know what that thing is, so there's no epiphany moment to gush about here. Perhaps it has something to do with the coats. I have a growing collection of coats and jackets. I add a few every year. They're unique pieces, all, most are vintage, some may be antique, and I don't wear most of them. I like the colors, patterns, textures, and shapes. I'm guessing that it's a small jump from that to loom weaving.
I recently acquired an old (1940's?) Schacht 4-harness table loom on ebay. It arrived a few days ago and I've since cleaned it up and re-assembled it. It looks good to me.
I've checkout out some books from the public library, I bought some cotton yarn to weave with.
I'm getting ready.
I'll keep you posted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment